LANGUAGE | EN
SEARCH

Almost 40 percent of U.S. employees use personally owned devices for work.



According to a recent survey of 4,300 U.S. consumers which was conducted in June 2014, Gartner Inc. found that approximately 40 percent of U.S. consumers who work for large enterprises said they use their personally owned smartphone, desktop or laptop daily for some form of work purposes



According to Gartner’s analysts, devices that were once bought purely for personal use are increasingly being used for work. The most popular personally owned device used for work was a desktop computer at 42 percent, closely followed by a smartphone at 40 percent, a laptop at 36 percent and a tablet at 26 percent. At the same time, 25 percent of employees who use their own device are approved to do so by their employer - Bring your own device (BYOD) concept. Of the remaining 75 percent who chose to use their own device almost half said that they are doing so without their employers' knowledge. 



Most often employees use their personal devices for communication, working with texts, online banking, reading news, viewing social networks and weather forecast.



According to the survey, 32 percent of respondents intend to purchase a smartphone in the next 12 months, 23 percent intend to buy a laptop or notebook, 20 percent plan to buy a tablet and 14 percent a desktop PC or smart TV.